Ongoing / Recent
- The California Review of Images and Mark Zuckerberg – Founded in 2017, an online scholarly journal dedicated to unpacking and analyzing the visual culture of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. CFP. Issue #1.
- Machine Deception – Technical workshop focusing on the capacity for machines to act as a medium through which human and other machine agents may be manipulated to believe, act upon or otherwise accept false information. Hosted at NIPS 2017. Collaboration with Bryce Goodman, Mikel Rodriguez, and Ian Goodfellow.
- “Into the Black” – Helping to judge a competition on short speculative fiction about basic income. The prize is…basic income. Hosted by the Economic Security Project.
- ‘The Power Broker’ Game Design Challenge – A 2016 game design challenge to adapt Robert Caro’s The Power Broker into playable tabletop and video game formats. CFP. Winners.
- Awesome Foundation for Arts and Sciences – A global network of giving circles devoted to forwarding the interests of awesome in the universe. 80+ chapters, $3M+ given since 2011. Co-founded with Evan Burchard, Erhardt Graeff, David Fisher, Keith Hopper, Emily Daniels, Reed Sturtevant, David Nunez, Jon Pierce, and Matt Blake.
Completed / Archive
- Adventure Time Forum – A collection of scholarly works focusing on the “Adventure Time” series. Collaboration with Darby Smith.
- Bay Leaks – A secure, anonymous whistleblower platform focused on news in the Bay Area. Collaboration with John Shutt.
- Berkeley Law School – Secretly went to law school and obtained a J.D. Became a member of the bar in California. 2010 – 2013.
- Cool Code, Bro – A short book exploring the origins and future of the brogrammer. Collaboration with Nick Parish.
- The Container Guide – A rugged, dockside companion field guide focused on the identification of integrated logistics corporations. Funded on Kickstarter. Collaboration with Craig Cannon.
- Gruen Day 2015 – A day-long celebration of the life of Victor Gruen, architect of the American shopping mall. Collaboration with Avery Trufelman and Helen Tseng.
- Hype Up Weekend – A weekend long project devoted to launching fake startups and attempting to obtain press coverage. Collaboration with Greg Marra.
- Infrastructure Observatory – A community of enthusiasts devoted to exploring and celebrating the infrastructural landscape. Co-founded with Hilary Hoeber.
- Intelligence and Autonomy – A research project at Data & Society focusing on the development of policy frameworks around machine intelligence and autonomy. Supported by the MacArthur Foundation, collaboration with Madeleine Elish.
- Journal of Venture Studies – Two volumes of scholarly works focusing on the “Venture Brothers” series. Collaboration with Nolan Bensen, Patrick Davison, Lea Rosen, and John Shutt.
- Most Likely to Succeed – A monthly e-mail newsletter devoted to archiving and re-releasing the music that people made when they were in high school and middle school.
- Pacific Social – A series of projects focused on the ability for bots to shape group social behavior online. Co-founded with Max Nanis and Ian Pearce.
- Robot, Robot & Hwang LLP – A series of conferences and meetups devoted to experiments at the intersection of legal and computer code.
- ROFLCon – A series of conferences focused on memes and internet culture. Held at MIT biennially from 2008 – 2012. Co-founded with Christina Xu and Diana Kimball.
- TableFlip – A daylong conference focused on the art of tabletop game design. Collaboration with Patrick Ewing.
- Web Ecology Project – An informal research collective exploring and quantifying social behavior and flows of culture online. Collaboration with Jon Beilin, Evan Burchard, David Fisher, Devin Gaffney, Sam Gilbert, Erhardt Graeff, Elsa Kim, Alex Leavitt, Dharmishta Rood, Sara Watson, and Seth Woodworth.